I know some of you will have already purchased a copy of Age of Conversation 3: It’s Time to Get Busy – and I do thank you for that. But I have new news for you, and an idea I’d like you to action. And for those of you who work for agencies or who clients you need year-end gifts for, listen up!
The Age of Conversation Official Charity – charity: water
The first piece of news is to confirm that the charity that benefits from each and every sale of each and every book, is charity: water. charity: water is a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. 100% of public donations directly fund water projects.
Amazingly, just $20 can give one person clean water for 20 years. An average water project costs $5,000 and can serve 250 people with clean, safe water – so purchasing a copy of the Age of Conversation 3 really can make a difference to someone’s life!
An AoC3 Bum Rush for Blog Action Day, October 15
As you probably know, the upcoming Blog Action Day is October 15 – and this year’s focus for Blog Action Day is water. To participate in Blog Action Day, you simply register your blog and then write a post. BUT what can you write about? Here’s where Age of Conversation comes in!
Charity Water is one of the participating partners for Blog Action Day. So what I’d like you to do is to help us with a Bum Rush on the Amazon charts – generate sales for AoC3 and raise money for charity: water.
The step-by-step is as follows:
- Buy the Book and send others to buy the book. If you work in an agency, get your agency to purchase multiple copies and give them out as year end gifts. This is the #1 call to action, because this is where we want to see the most impact. NOTE: Please buy 1 copy at a time because Amazon counts bulk orders once, and please use these affiliate links, which will help us in tracking sales. Remember, all the proceeds from the book sales and referrals will go to charity water:
- Register with Blog Action Day – Help raise the profile and participate in a huge global effort around water by registering for Blog Action Day.
- Blog About Blog Action Day, focusing on AoC3 - Make sure you have a prominent link to the Amazon listing so that readers can easily purchase the book. (Remember to use the affiliate link above. All of these earnings will go to charity as well.)
- Twitter Commentary - Join the other authors as we give a Bum Rush play-by-play on Twitter. We also ask that everyone saying anything about the Bum Rush to use the code #aoc3 so that it can be picked up by What The Hashtag.
- Trackback or Comment on the post that I will leave here on October 15, so that everyone can follow the conversation and help promote exposure on social sites (Digg, StumbleUpon, Del.icio.us, etc.)
- Digg the posts listed here and send emails and shouts to friends requesting Diggs.
- Stumble the posts listed and tell friends to do the same.
- Bookmark your posts on Del.icio.us
- Don’t forget Facebook – Make sure to become a Fan of AoC3 and to contribute to our wall
- Send an Old Fashioned email to your friends about the Bum Rush for AoC.
Oh, and if you have any others ideas, I’d love to hear them. Feel free to leave a comment below or over on the Age of Conversation fan page.
21Apr10Hot off the Presses
The proofs of the new Age of Conversation 3 arrived in Drew McLellan’s offices in Des Moines, Iowa … and it just so happened that we were both able to be there!
As you can see from our Flickr set, the unboxing was very exciting
The quality of the printing and production is smashing! The smaller format gives the book a real sense of impact and the white cover really catches your eye. When you have the chance to hold your own copies in your hands, I am sure you will be impressed.
Once again, great work from Gretel and the folks over at Channel V Books! Now we are just waiting on the book information to make its way through the Amazon system and we’ll be ready to go. Look out for an update really soon!
30Jun08Meet the '08 authors
Here they are:
Adrian Ho, Aki Spicer, Alex Henault, Amy Jussel, Andrew Odom, Andy Nulman, Andy Sernovitz, Andy Whitlock, Angela Maiers, Ann Handley, Anna Farmery, Armando Alves, Arun Rajagopal, Asi Sharabi, Becky Carroll, Becky McCray, Bernie Scheffler, Bill Gammell, Bob LeDrew, Brad Shorr, Brandon Murphy, Branislav Peric, Brent Dixon, Brett Macfarlane, Brian Reich, C.C. Chapman, Cam Beck, Casper Willer, Cathleen Rittereiser, Cathryn Hrudicka, Cedric Giorgi, Charles Sipe, Chris Kieff, Chris Cree, Chris Wilson, Christina Kerley (CK), C.B. Whittemore, Chris Brown, Connie Bensen, Connie Reece, Corentin Monot, Craig Wilson, Daniel Honigman, Dan Schawbel, Dan Sitter, Daria Radota Rasmussen, Darren Herman, Dave Davison, David Armano, David Berkowitz, David Koopmans, David Meerman Scott, David Petherick, David Reich, David Weinfeld, David Zinger, Deanna Gernert, Deborah Brown, Dennis Price, Derrick Kwa, Dino Demopoulos, Doug Haslam, Doug Meacham, Doug Mitchell, Douglas Hanna, Douglas Karr, Drew McLellan, Duane Brown, Dustin Jacobsen, Dylan Viner, Ed Brenegar, Ed Cotton, Efrain Mendicuti, Ellen Weber, Eric Peterson, Eric Nehrlich, Ernie Mosteller, Faris Yakob, Fernanda Romano, Francis Anderson, Gareth Kay, Gary Cohen, Gaurav Mishra, Gavin Heaton, Geert Desager, George Jenkins, G.L. Hoffman, Gianandrea Facchini, Gordon Whitehead, Greg Verdino, Gretel Going & Kathryn Fleming, Hillel Cooperman, Hugh Weber, J. Erik Potter, James Gordon-Macintosh, Jamey Shiels, Jasmin Tragas, Jason Oke, Jay Ehret, Jeanne Dininni, Jeff De Cagna, Jeff Gwynne & Todd Cabral, Jeff Noble, Jeff Wallace, Jennifer Warwick, Jenny Meade, Jeremy Fuksa, Jeremy Heilpern, Jeroen Verkroost, Jessica Hagy, Joanna Young, Joe Pulizzi, John Herrington, John Moore, John Rosen, John Todor, Jon Burg, Jon Swanson, Jonathan Trenn, Jordan Behan, Julie Fleischer, Justin Foster, Karl Turley, Kate Trgovac, Katie Chatfield, Katie Konrath, Kenny Lauer, Keri Willenborg, Kevin Jessop, Kristin Gorski, Lewis Green, Lois Kelly, Lori Magno, Louise Manning, Luc Debaisieux, Mario Vellandi, Mark Blair, Mark Earls, Mark Goren, Mark Hancock, Mark Lewis, Mark McGuinness, Matt Dickman, Matt J. McDonald, Matt Moore, Michael Karnjanaprakorn, Michelle Lamar, Mike Arauz, Mike McAllen, Mike Sansone, Mitch Joel, Neil Perkin, Nettie Hartsock, Nick Rice, Oleksandr Skorokhod, Ozgur Alaz, Paul Chaney, Paul Hebert, Paul Isakson, Paul McEnany, Paul Tedesco, Paul Williams, Pet Campbell, Pete Deutschman, Peter Corbett, Phil Gerbyshak, Phil Lewis, Phil Soden, Piet Wulleman, Rachel Steiner, Sreeraj Menon, Reginald Adkins, Richard Huntington, Rishi Desai, Robert Hruzek, Roberta Rosenberg, Robyn McMaster, Roger von Oech, Rohit Bhargava, Ron Shevlin, Ryan Barrett, Ryan Karpeles, Ryan Rasmussen, Sam Huleatt, Sandy Renshaw, Scott Goodson, Scott Monty, Scott Townsend, Scott White, Sean Howard, Sean Scott, Seni Thomas, Seth Gaffney, Shama Hyder, Sheila Scarborough, Sheryl Steadman, Simon Payn, Sonia Simone, Spike Jones, Stanley Johnson, Stephen Collins, Stephen Landau, Stephen Smith, Steve Bannister, Steve Hardy, Steve Portigal, Steve Roesler, Steven Verbruggen, Steve Woodruff, Sue Edworthy, Susan Bird, Susan Gunelius, Susan Heywood, Tammy Lenski, Terrell Meek, Thomas Clifford, Thomas Knoll, Tim Brunelle, Tim Connor, Tim Jackson, Tim Mannveille, Tim Tyler, Timothy Johnson, Tinu Abayomi-Paul, Toby Bloomberg, Todd Andrlik, Troy Rutter, Troy Worman, Uwe Hook, Valeria Maltoni, Vandana Ahuja, Vanessa DiMauro, Veronique Rabuteau, Wayne Buckhanan, William Azaroff, Yves Van Landeghem
Quite an impressive list. And you’re going to love the insights and stories they had to share.
For the next month or so, we’ll be editing and working through design/layout issues. And before you know it, Age of Conversation ’08 will be ready for promotion and purchase.
Thanks to everyone who is participating and remember….it’s all about raising money for charity.
22May08The Wheels Are In Motion
As expected, we have been inundated with chapters and are now methodically going through each email, checking our list, counting words and updating our status sheet. Obviously with such a large number of contributions, it takes some management!
Our process is looking like this. When we receive your chapter you will receive a confirmation email from Drew or from Gavin and Drew. All we are saying is that we “received it”.
Then, your document is uploaded to Google Docs where it is checked for word length. We also check that you have a title and that the URL matches the last web address that we have for you. All this is confirmed in another email. If your word length is over (even just a little), you will receive an email asking you to cut it down. We then update, again, our status spreadsheet.
After all the documents have been loaded and checked, we will go back through the new emails taking in any changes to title, word length and URL. At that point, no more changes can be made to your chapter.
If you have NOT received emails, don’t worry. There are many chapters to get through and we will get through them all!
30Apr08The Trickle Begins
The topics have been set or assigned and I can almost hear the almost 300 contributors starting to ask and answer the central question — Why Don’t People Get It?
Already we have received some chapters … but as with most things, we expect a last minute submission rush.
For those who are new contributors, remember, it is only 400 words … and it may take longer to commit them to print than your normal blog posts. Please start early (ie now). Give yourself plenty of time to rewrite.
But most of all, have fun!
Since being released through the book publishers’ channel, the Age of Conversation has raised even more money for Variety, the Children’s Charity. This is partly due to the Bum Rush organised by Chris Wilson but also due to the support that the marketing and blogging community has provided in spreading the word and encouraging people to purchase the book.
What continues to amaze me about this community is the creative thinking, problem solving and DEDICATION that you all show. And as we begin to gear up for the next edition of the Age of Conversation, new ideas are also flowing in from new contributors. Chris Wilson, for example, was not an author of Age of Conversation, but he spent a great deal of time and effort creating a bum rush strategy and executing it flawlessly.
And now Fraser Kelton has kicked in with a funky Age of Conversation widget courtesy of his company, Adaptive Blue. This widget allows your readers to purchase the book directly from their favourite booksellers — while also including the relevant affiliate program. This means that when someone purchases a copy of Age of Conversation through the links in this widget, Variety also benefits from the additional revenue generated by the relevant affiliate program. To check out how it works, simply mouse over the image of the book above. Neat!
We have finally overcome the litany of issues plaguing the retail distribution of The Age of Conversation –and are now planning an Age of Conversation Bum Rush. That’s right, we want to bring this ground-breaking work to a wider audience and have now made it available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other quality retail book selling sites. But wait! Don’t rush out just yet to purchase your copy. Hold off until March 29. Here’s why … Chris Wilson has setout a plan of action designed to push the Age of Conversation up the best seller charts. Here’s how it works …
Plan of Action for March 29, 2008 …
With the infinite amount of social sites and connections on the web, this is a huge undertaking. That is why I came up with this plan of action list with the highest priority items at the top. The idea is to generate as many touch points around the web as possible so that it will be hard not to spot the Age of Conversation activity.
- Buy the Book & send others to buy the book. This is the number 1 call to action, because this is where we want to see the most impact. NOTE: Please buy 1 copy at a time because Amazon counts bulk orders once, and please use this affiliate link, which will help us in tracking sales. Remember, all the proceeds from the book sales and referrals will go to charity. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1847992994?ie=UTF8&tag= drewmclellan-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325& creativeASIN=1847992994
- Blog About It - Make sure you have a prominent link to the Amazon listing so that readers can easily purchase the book. (Remember to use the affiliate link above. All of these earnings will go to charity as well.)
- Twitter Commentary - Join Drew and I as we give a Bum Rush play-by-play on Twitter. (Follow us: @Freshpeel, @DrewMcLellan) We also ask that everyone saying anything about the Bum Rush to use the code #AOC so that it can be picked up by Twemes.com
- Trackback or Comment on the post that Chris leaves on March 29, at 12am CST, so that everyone can follow the conversation and help promote exposure on social sites (Digg, StumbleUpon, Del.icio.us, etc.)
- Digg the posts listed on Chris’ site and send emails and shouts to friends requesting Diggs.
- Stumble the posts listed & tell friends to do the same.
- Bookmark your posts on Del.icio.us
- Add your post to other social media outlets ( Technorati, Ma.gnolia, Furl, BlinkList, Newsvine, Facebook, etc.)
- Send an Old Fashioned email to your friends about the Bum Rush for AoC.
- Keep talking – Get on ooVoo, iChat, Aim, or where ever you like to talk, and start talking.
What you can do right now …
- Spread the word - Surely you are connected to people outside of your marketing cronies. Start talking … hence the word “conversation” in the title of the book.
- Add the Join the Rush Badge to your Blog or Web page. (Just copy and paste the HTML code below.)
<a href="http://freshpeel.com/2008/03/AOC_BumRush_March/"><img src="http://www.freshpeel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/AOC_banner.jpg" alt="Join the Age of Conversation Bum Rush on March 29th" /></a>
- Blog about It - Make sure everyone gets the word that the Bum Rush will be rescheduled.
- Create a podcast or video and upload to Youtube or other streaming video site (Maybe David Brazeal or Anna Farmery can do a special edition?).
- Add your Reviews and tags on Amazon – Right now the Amazon page looks a little naked. Help fill it up!
- Join the Facebook Group - This is a great way to connect with all of the AOC writers and fans. You can join the group here.
- Become an AOC Fan on Facebook – Show your love for AOC. Yet another awesome way to connect with AOC writers and fans. Join AOC fan page here.
- Add AOC to Wikipedia - Any experts on Wikipedia guidlines? Made to Stick is a good example of what can be included.
Howdy folks … just wanted to let you all know that Drew and Gavin have NOT forgotten about you all. We are diligently working our way through a few issues to do with the next Age of Conversation book project and will be contacting all you authors very soon.
Chris Wilson is kindly organising a bum rush of the Amazon charts for the first week of the new year. That’s right, we are extending the distribution of The Age of Conversation — from the Lulu marketplace into the big, scary publishing world.
The plan is to kick start the year in spectacular social media fashion. But, in preparation, there are a few things that you can do:
- Spread the word – Surely you are connected to people outside of your marketing cronies. Start talking…hence the word
“conversation” in the title.
- Blog about It – Make sure everyone gets the word that the Bum Rush will be starting on JANUARY 5
- Play – Hopefully you will have some time off over the holidays. Take some time to play with social media sites. Make connections
- Join the Facebook Group – This is a great way to connect with all of the AOC writers and fans. You can join the group here
- Become an AOC Fan on Facebook – Show your love for AOC. Yet another awesome way to connect with AOC writers and fans. Join AOC fan page here
- Add AOC to Wikipedia – Any experts on Wikipedia guidlines? Made to Stick is a good example of what can be included.